Want to peek into the behind-the-scenes world of fashion? Now that it’s officially the season to curl up in front of the fire (or space heater) with a good book, we’ve rounded up a few recommendations for you. Here are our top 12 literary picks for your next fashion book club:
1. Influence by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
Fashion’s favorite set of twins interview the people who have helped shape their style and design-industry endeavors over the years.
2. The Little Dictionary of Fashion by Christian Dior
Short and sweet, this mini A-Z guide is the perfect addition to your office desk. A beginner’s introduction to everything couture-related from none other than Christian Dior.
3. The Woman I Wanted To Be by Diane von Furstenberg
A deeper look into the life of one of the most influential designers of our time. Read about how she created the infamous wrap dress and built her empire while raising a family.
4. Women in Clothes by Sheila Heti, Heidi Julavits, Leanne Shapton, & 639 Others
If you are looking for a unique and refreshing take on fashion and style, this book is it. Dive into a collection of interviews, illustrations, photographs, and stories from all kinds of women on their relationship with clothing. Molly Ringwald, Lena Dunham, Kalpona Akter, and Tavi Gevinson are just a few of the remarkable women surveyed.
5. The Sartorialist by Scott Schuman
How can we not include this beloved street style photographer’s gorgeous pictures? He captures the unique spirit and style of metropolis cities around the globe.
6. How to be Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style, and Bad Habits by Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret, and Sophie Mas
Why are so many American women fascinated by the French? Maybe it’s the romantic streets, perfectly flaky pastries, or the minimalist “I woke up like this” chic style that we’re drawn to. Learn how Parisians have perfected that je ne sais quoi effortless attitude and how to mimic it.
7. 100 Years of Fashion by Cally Blackman
A coffee table book that will surely entertain your guests. This collector’s classic features over 400 fashion illustrations and photographs from the 1900s to today.
8. Kate Spade New York: Things We Love by Kate Spade New York
In the past 20 years, the brand has grown from solely selling handbags to becoming an industry global leader for fashion and lifestyle goods. This book is a compilation of the company’s vibrant, charming, and fun design inspiration along with some practical tips.
9. I’ll Drink to That: A Life in Style, With a Twist by Betty Halbreich
Betty Halbreich, the style legend, has worked as a personal shopper for Bergdorf Goodman for almost forty years. In her memoir, she reveals insight into her personal life as well as a behind-the-scenes look at the styling industry.
10. The Beautiful Fall: Fashion, Genius, and Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris by Alicia Drake
This intriguing expose chronicles the rivalry between designers Yves Saint Laurent and Karl Lagerfeld during a revolutionary fashion period.
11. Grace: A Memoir by Grace Coddington
Move over, Anna. This must-have book gives a rare insight into the life and career of the former model turned Vogue Creative Director, Grace Coddington.
12. Taschen Designer Series, curated by Terry Jones
From the archives of i-D magazine, these books highlight the career milestones and personal journeys of some of the most influential designers of the world.
Did we miss any of your favorite fashion reads? Let us know in the comments below.