Not to date ourselves too terribly, but prom dresses these days are so cool that it’s almost not even fair. You ladies searching for gowns today have the luxury of choosing a dress you can look back on 10 years from now with fond memories of looking like an A-list red carpet star vs. cringing at the bubble hems, faux diamond jewelry from Claire’s, and those princess cupcake dresses that take up three seats in any limo—all of which haunt our yearbook pages.
Considering this may be the second most important dress of your life, you owe it to yourself to give the process enough time to manifest the high school prom dress of your dreams. And with over 1.1 million options (yes, just for prom dresses alone), eBay is your best place to start. That said, you might like a little help navigating all the choices, are we right?
To give every ‘prom queen hopeful’ a run for her money in the best dressed category, look for lace-blocking, crinkle satin, pastel colors, playful pleats, flirtatious off-the-shoulder styles (bonus points for a subtle cape!), a celebrity-inspired two-piece set, and luxurious velvet. Our search for today’s most unforgettable and utterly unregrettable prom ensembles led us to the following fun and funky fashion brands:
- BCBG, a formalwear staple.
- Eye catching Zara, always on trend.
- Boundary pushing Nasty Gal, for the boldest among you.
- Free People, beloved shopping mecca to every boho princess.
- Reformation, every fashion blogger’s secret-weapon line.
- & Other Stories, under the radar but cool enough for a Rodarte collab.
- Topshop, to mix it up with some Brit-girl flair.
- Budget-friendly ASOS, for everything from retro frocks to sexy cuts.
- Keepsake, for girly silhouettes plus fashion-forward details.
So whether you’re hanging every prom night happiness on a crush that could end up crushing you (no judgement; we’ve been there) or going stag with your girl squad, you’ll always have the photos, so go ahead and live your truth in a dress that’s totally you.
P.S. Don’t miss these affordable red carpet-inspired jewelry trends to complete your look!