What a time to be alive. Comfort is trending, along with all-things nineties and bows in every shape and size. Whether it’s due to a sense of nostalgia, or the strong pull of athleisure (and the designer-personalities driving the fashion current), we simply love the forces that make it possible for us to leave the house in the same level of cozy that we woke up in.
Follow the simple tips below and we’ll have you feeling as good as you do in that sweatshirt you stole from your ex, all while looking more like an off-duty model than a grieving couch potato. We’ll show you how to take cues from style icon Emmy Rossum and transform flu vibes into fashion goals in the one move of layering a chunky sweater or wool coat over a silk pajama set.
As you’ll see, the trick is all in the details. With the following tips, you’ll effortlessly achieve the same level of comfort your leggings and fleece offer, but with a wildly elevated effect; the same dose of cozy, but with added visual polish.
So go ahead and keep it cozy—it’s fashionable, after all.
2. Instead of a North Face fleece, try a plaid wool jacket for a change.
5. Instead of sleeping in old concert and sports tees, treat yourself to a chic pajama set (preferably one you can wear out).
7. Instead of a beanie or baseball hat, hide a bad hair day under a Rag & Bone wide brim fedora.
8. Instead of a zip-up hoodie, drape a tuxedo blazer across your shoulders (yes, the drape effect makes all the difference).
9. Instead of any other top layer, allow your life (and style) to be changed with the swift aid of a black leather moto jacket.
Here’s another outfit maker we love: the blazer.