Remember the infamous scene in Clueless when Cher’s leaving her house for a date and her dad asks, “What the hell is that?” She replies in a most obvious tone, “A dress.” Mel retorts, “Says who?” And then Cher ever so casually explains, “Calvin Klein.” Ever since that iconic moment 20 years ago (yes, 20…), we’ve been obsessed with the slip dress date night look and thanks to fashion declaring a throwback to ‘90s style, it’s high time we resurrect this flirty frock. Here are 11 ways we’re updating Cher’s slip dress this summer.
1. Try a bright pink slip dress with army green Vans-style sneakers and a slouchy clutch.
2. Pair a pastel yellow slip dress with strappy black flat sandals and a black shoulder bag.
5. Channel Zoe Kravitz in Cannes by rocking short navy blue slip dress, dressing the look down with black lace-up ankle boots, and finishing it off with a black bag and sliver bangles.
6. Keep it casual with a denim jacket, loafers, and structured tote.
7. Add some edge with studded sandals, a chain-strap bag, and an unexpected body chain.
8. Go grunge with a boyish blazer and heeled ankle boots.
9. Achieve a sporty slant with sneakers, shades, and a stack of bangles.
11. Top your slip dress with a broad-brimmed hat and add Birkenstocks for a beach or road trip ready ensemble.
To see a selection of slip dresses we love plus more styling ideas, check out our Slip Into Style collection.