With New York Fashion Week right around the corner, we’re revisiting style tips from some of the savviest pros. So whether it’s your first time attending a show or you’re following all the action online, read on to discover tips for dressing like an editor and ensuring your accessories catch the eye of every photographer at Skylight.
1. “Instagram or it didn’t happen.” – Leandra Medine, Manrepeller
This, friends, is why a mobile phone charger is an absolutely non-negotiable fashion week must have. Plus, how would you call an Uber without a juiced smartphone?! We shudder at the thought. Shop battery pack phone cases here.
2. “Keep [flats] in your purse for an emergency shoe switch that won’t mess up your outfit.” – Alison Syrett, Associate Digital Style Editor, Lucky
“Rather than blow all your cash on teeter-y pumps you’ll give up wearing mid-week, save enough for one amazing pair of loafers, slippers, oxford or brogues, too,” advises Syrett, who recommends Tabitha Simmons two-tone leather flats. Shop low Tabitha Simmons shoes here.
3. “Swapping social media handles isn’t a substitute for business cards.” – Ariana Atwater, StyleBlazer
Atwater suggests keeping a chic Kate Spade Business Card Holder well stocked. Think of paper business cards as the new QR code, or rather, the old QR code before Twitter handles and URLs replaced our names and addresses.
4. “…A whimsical or punchy statement bag is an all-out essential.” – Kate Schweitzer, Popsugar
Carrying a quirky Anya Hindmarch carryall is a guaranteed way to make a statement and show up on all the street style blogs by morning.
5. “…Ensure that with footwear, mobility is key…” – Liana Satenstein, Vogue
If this September is going to be anywhere near as warm as the last, Satenstein advises to “choose clothing that isn’t tight on the body [and] pick a bright, slip-on sneaker for contrast and easy walking…” Another vote for flats is like music to our ears! As for what to wear on your top half to keep from overheating, Satenstein suggests a MM6 by Maison Martin Margiela collarless shirtdress. Shop Maison Martin Margiela shirt dresses here.
Add Band-Aids, a baggie of almonds, deodorant, and Evian Spray to your tote, go forth, and pose!