Just because no one really observes the old rule against wearing white after Labor Day, doesn’t mean you know how to rock it. Here are a few stylish starting points.
1. White handbags. One of the easiest ways to wear white after Labor Day is to keep your summer handbag in rotation. This works especially well if you carry a chic white bag. It’s a bold neutral that pops dramatically against fall’s darker tones like black and gray.
2. White denim. Another option you probably already have on hand: the same skinny white jeans you wore this summer. To instantly update them for fall, tuck them into soft suede boots. From there, virtually anything will work up top—from a plaid button-down to an oversize sweater or a menswear-inspired blazer.
3. White blouses. If you don’t already own a classic white shirt in crisp cotton or smooth silk, ‘tis the season to stock up. This is a perfect layering piece to dress up your denim or to slip underneath a sweater for comfort and contrast. Tucked or untucked: there’s no right or wrong way to wear a white blouse. That’s the fun of it.
4. White fuzzies. Plush toppers are all the rage right now. A white faux fur jacket is a fun and versatile piece that will quickly pay off in shopping math (the cost of a piece divided by the number of times you wear it, of course!.
5. White cable knit. This is the ultimate classic-cozy look. Try to find a style that’s been updated with a twist—like an asymmetrical hem or a sporty side zip. Other than that, no need to stray from the tried-and-true formula: ivory sweater + blue jeans + butterscotch boots. If you’re looking for a new way to wear cable, try skinny black jeans and pointy black boots. That’ll give you a harder edge. Either way, finish with a great pair of sunglasses.
6. White sneakers. Adidas Superstars and Stan Smiths have made a huge comeback this year. Pair with everything from dark denim to jewel-toned trousers for an easygoing-yet-fashion-forward look.
7. White jewelry. If all else fails, make your mark with jewelry. From vintage milk earrings to new necklaces by J. Crew, there are plenty of options to play with. Fasten ivory-colored cuffs over tailored shirt cuffs and crewneck sweaters for a clean-cut look. Add white enamel bib necklaces over black blouses and gray sweatshirts to dress them up.
Happy fall, everyone!