This past week was a whirlwind of early mornings, amazing street style, beautiful people, friendly faces, late nights, incredible meals, and more. That’s because we travelled to New York Fashion Week to see what we could see—both on the streets and on the runway. Our trip wouldn’t be complete without a full recap for you, so here goes a day in life with the Style Stories team at fashion week!
1. We wake up with coffee in the courtyard of my hotel—it’s like a mini Paris with green café tables, gravel underfoot, and bicycles lined up for guests! This is just one reason The High Line Hotel is my favorite NYC home away from home. The other is the Intelligentsia coffee truck. My photographer partner-in-crime, Joe Leonard, meets me there from Greenpoint because the iced espresso is that good. One cup and we’re in overdrive—perfect.
2. We zoom uptown to Lincoln Center—taking our life in our hands in a 10th avenue taxi. Joe has heart palpitations as we ricochet in and out of traffic. I never look. In a New York cab, ignorance is bliss.
3. We hit the scene at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. Outside the tent a couple hundred people mill about. By now we know it’s a mix of bloggers and photographers documenting street style. Locals walking their babies and dogs. Tourists wandering about. Policemen keeping the peace. Show-goers in outlandish outfits—looking to be photographed. And people who work in the industry, cutting through the crowd in quietly chic ensembles.
4. The outlandishly dressed show-goers often inspire paparazzi-like frenzies. Sometimes we swoop in to snap a fantastic handbag or shoe.
5. Our real work begins when we start to pick out the best-dressed bloggers, photographers, and industry insiders—real people running (at least a bit more) under the radar. We always spend enough time with each person to catch the tiniest details, from barely-there bracelets to ankle tattoos to delicate earrings to pedicure colors. It’s so fun to chat with everyone since they all know and love eBay. We talk about what they’re wearing and what we’re up to on the Style Stories blog.
6. Now and then we pause to document the NYFW scene. It’s such a crazy mix of unexpected sights. There are fashion students sketching from life. There are dogs enjoying the chaos. There are icons at work, like Bill Cunningham photographing for the New York Times. There are companies hosting giveaways and launching marketing campaigns. There are starlets sashaying through the crowd.
7. We duck inside the MBFW tent to see a show. It’s dark and buzzy in there. We cruise past a café where people snack discreetly, and tons of sponsored booths where you can learn about new beauty products, music apps, and more. Our favorite booth is giving away tiny boxes of champagne gummy bears.
At Nanette Lepore, we see sweet colors like sunshine yellow and baby blue, bold black and white stripes, pretty touches of paisley, and messy topknots. When the family’s youngest daughter walks the final look down the runway, the crowd erupts into thunderous applause. Then the models dance out—arms around each others’ waists—to Stevie Wonder’s infectious song, Another Star. All this irresistible joy makes you want to join the fun by wearing the collection come spring. Mission accomplished, Nanette!
At J.Crew, the models stand on brightly lit platforms while everyone gapes at their gorgeous windblown hair, coral lips, and bronzed skin. Their beautiful faces almost steal the show. The clothes are exactly as you’d expect: super sexy heels plus sporty layers mixed with ladylike staples styled with superhuman savoir faire. We love the long wide-leg shorts, oversized button-front shirts, and anorak-style jackets. The guys wear bucket hats, sweaters worth stealing, and Birkenstocks, Vans, and New Balance—definitely some of the biggest shoes for both men and women this spring.
8. Finally, we eat! Then we upload. Part of what makes fashion week so hectic is that our work isn’t done when we stop shooting for the day. We edit the images, then pass them on to different partners at eBay—like our pals in PR working on this special Pinterest board for their #shopinspired sweepstakes, and our friends in editorial working on a NYFW-inspired shop. Then we blog and tweet and instagram our adventures. All to the beat of the songs we heard at the shows. I am totally obsessed with Sylvan Esso at this point, which I first heard earlier in the week at Nicole Miller. Happily, these tracks—like so many other bits of inspiration gathered at NYFW—will follow me home and stay with me for seasons to come.
Thanks to everyone we met at fashion week! It wouldn’t be this colorful without you. Look for your images soon in our street style section!