With so many of my friends graduating in the next few weeks, I wanted to create a tutorial for a fun and playful gift to give them. I decided on a DIY graduation cap cupcake topper since a sweet treat is always a good idea and they are so simple to make. This will definitely make any grad smile, or be a hit at your next graduation party.
- Baking chocolate
- Chocolate squares (Ghirardelli or Godiva work well)
- Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Mini M&M’s
- Sour Belt Candy
- Decorative straws
- BBQ Sticks
1. Melt your baking chocolate either in the microwave or on the stovetop using a double broiler. (For best results, follow the directions on the package.)
2. Using a BBQ stick, add a small dollop of melted chocolate to the bottom of the mini peanut butter cup. Then, place a chocolate square on top.
3. Add a small dollop of melted chocolate to the middle of the chocolate square. Cut a thin 2” piece of the sour belt candy and place one edge on the melted chocolate dollop.
4. Add another small dollop of melted chocolate onto the top end of the sour belt candy and add a mini M&M on top.
5. Cut a decorative straw about 1/2“ longer than your cupcake.
6. Insert the cut straw about ½” inside of the mini peanut butter cup.
7. Insert the other end of the cut straw into the cupcake, exposing about 1” of the straw.