Our DIY blogger is Aimee Santos from Swellmayde, one of the best maker blogs we know.
I’m counting down the days until summer begins! For this DIY, I wanted to blend some of my favorite summer trends into one project. I love a great tie dye, especially in denim. Here, I recreated my own tie dye denim look, onto lace-up espadrilles, my go-to summer shoe. Can’t wait to wear these with a pair of white cutoffs and a light wash chambray top!
1. Remove the laces of the shoes. Then, carefully add masking tape to the soles, which will prevent this area from being painted.
2. Fill the bowl with water. With a sponge brush, dab water onto the cotton area of the shoes until it is all wet.
3. Add the blue paint onto the paper plate. With your other sponge brush, paint irregular brushstrokes all over the shoe, leaving white space.
4. Then, take your first sponge brush and rub water all over the shoe, which will give it a watercolor/tie dye effect.
5. Repeat steps 1 – 4 for the other shoe. Remove masking tape, then let fully dry overnight.
6. Pair with denim cutoffs, a floral romper, or an easy-breezy dress and enjoy!