From cheese-grating our own raw-edge hems to adding personalized patches, denim du jour is all about taking the perfect pair of dungarees and deconstructing them until they’re a totally new version of what they once were. Think of this journey as a metamorphosis for the pair of pantaloons flung high upon your closet shelf and forgotten—until now. (For those not bitten by the crafting bug, stay tuned for our favorite shoppable, pre-reconstructed picks.)
Perhaps your new version features an edgy step hem (the mullet of hems!), or you trim bootcut jeans to create the coveted cropped flare silhouette of the season. For fall 2016, it’s not about which jeans you buy online; it’s about what you do with them once they’re home. We’re living in the golden age of scissor-driven DIY and we are free to express ourselves in the forms of extra large cuffs, 50 contrasting shades of blue, and hey, we promise not to judge if you take tailoring into your own hands—because that’s the look. Jeans via Sewing 101.
So, who’s ready to banish boring one-tone skinny jeans and have some fun with our go-to blues? Have a seat, because arts and crafts hour is officially in session. Here are 9 great ways to shop the best reconstructed denim on eBay right now!
1. Vetements‘ subtly twisted styles, because these are the jeans that started it all.
2. H&M’s spot-on spin the new seaming trend.
3. Rachel Comey’s Legion Jeans, and other coolly tweaked wide-leg styles.
4. Victoria Beckham’s kick flare crops, because why not nail two fall trends in one?
5. Marques Almeida’s frayed styles, always in unexpected colors and silhouettes.
6. Zara’s patched “mom” jeans, high-waisted and fun.
7. Current Elliott’s skinnies, especially the patchwork styles.
8. Chimala’s artfully distressed styles, always in luxurious Japanese denim.
Want to see more? Check out our collection dedicated to The New Jean.