Mother’s day is May 8—and it’s never too early to start thinking about how to spoil the woman who spoiled you. Here are a few ideas that’ve been home runs for us in the past. Ten classic, can’t-miss Mother’s Day gifts she’s sure to love:
1. Pearl studs. (Real ones.) Every mom needs earrings this nice to wear every day. And if she already has some, find a way to improve upon them—think bigger, or go with black pearls, or find a pair punctuated with little diamonds. It’s your turn to indulge her.
2. An Hermès scarf. Yes, your mom deserves this. They’re not as expensive as you may think—and they’re much cooler than you might realize. Each one is like a little work of art. Oh, and if she does already have a few, add to her collection. It’s that kind of thing.
3. Laura Mercier Soufflé Body Crème. This is the loveliest, most luxurious body lotion we know. Fragrant enough to stand in for perfume, it’s an indulgence your mom will look forward to every day. Get yourself some, too, or risk regret.
4. Chanel flats. Every woman of a certain age should have gorgeous, ladylike, first-cabin flats—no knockoffs allowed. These are our favorites, in buttery leather, with cap toes or without. This is the kind of gift you can turn into a tradition she loves: every year, present her with a new, more fabulous pair. (Which also means no more worrying about what to get her.)
5. An iPhone. If a smartphone is new territory for your mom, there’s no harm in nudging her along into this whole new world…of keeping tabs on you! This really is good for you, too—it makes it so much easier to keep in touch when you can send a quick text or photo, or FaceTime when you’re far apart.
6. A Prada keychain. Beautiful and whimsical, this is a gift she’ll never expect but definitely love. Sure, it’s fanciful—a pure little piece of luxury—but it’s something she’ll use every day, and every day it will remind her of you.
7. A Bottega wallet. This is one of those classically chic pieces that will make her feel spoiled. That’s the best kind of gift for mom when you want to sweep her off her feet.
8. A Goyard tote. The tote is the easiest kind of bag to carry—and Goyard makes the ultimate tote. It’s made of super-strong canvas (which is nice and light for your mom), and painstakingly hand-painted over several days for a beautiful leather-like effect.
8 and a 1/2. A Cartier tank watch. This is a bonus idea because it’s awfully expensive and we know it. But we’re throwing it out there in case you can swing it—and in case your mom is the type to lust after a classic, infinitely stylish timepiece by a venerable French jewelry house. We know that type all too well…
9. Luxurious pajamas. Or a nightgown. Or a robe. Any kind of loungewear is an indulgence in the finest cotton or silk (which is so super flattering it will make her feel beautiful, too). Look for luxe styles by the lounge experts: Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein.
10. Cashmere anything. Chances are, your mother catches a chill more easily than you do—plus, cashmere never fails to please. Opt for a soft cardigan in a sweet spring-ready color. Present her with something she can drape over her shoulders when she catches a draft, and you’re sure to warm her heart.
What’s worked for you in the past? Share the gifts your mom has loved best in the comments below.