Now’s the time to jump on the crop top trend—the weather’s perfect for it, and you’ll want to have this look down by the time fall fashion rolls around. Like you, we were a little tentative to try it at first. But after ample research, we settled on these top crop tips. With them hand, we know we got this. Join us! You got this, too:
1. Pair with high-waisted styles—that way, only a sliver of skin will show between your top and your bottom. This is a great way to debut a close-to-the-body crop. It’s sexy with minimum reveal.
2. Go boxy. In addition to tons of tube-like styles, there’s a new wave of loose, blousy crops out now. Try them with high-waisted trousers and chunky heels for a sleek, sporty, sophisticated look (think: Alexander Wang). A long skirt and flat sandals will also work for an easy, artsy take (think: Marni).
3. Keep everything else ladylike. Your crop top doesn’t need to be the boldest thing about your look (you can still indulge in brightly colored pants or a splashy printed skirt), but it should be the sexiest detail. Stick with flats, boots, and other sporty extras to balance your bare midriff.
4. Start by layering. If you’re still hesitant to try crop tops at all, start by layering a short sweater over a sheer blouse; or try a little tee over a dress. It’ll still feel fresh and fun to wear.
5. Take the look into fall. This isn’t just a summer fling. Start plotting your transition to cute, cropped pullovers now, and you’ll be ahead of the game come cooler weather. If you’re still shy to wear them, you’ll be able to layer them under chunky cardigans and more.
Share your own ideas for how to rock crop tops in the comments below!