We can always tell it’s winter by the backs of our hands. Just like that, they turn rough as sandpaper and no amount of moisturizer seems to restore their softness. That’s because icy weather tends to dry everything out. Low humidity, harsh winds, drying heaters, and ruthless head colds render lips chapped, hair lusterless, and skin parched and pale.
This winter, stay ahead of the skincare game with our list of cold-weather beauty essentials. These must-have elixirs are super luxurious, ultra hydrating, and designed to keep your complexion dewy despite frosty temps. They work great separately or you can use them in tandem to fight dull, dry skin all season long.
1. La Roche Posay Anthelios Face Sunscreen. Because SPF is always important—yes, even in winter. This one is not greasy and absorbs really well.
2. Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm. This amazing (dare we say, miracle) salve removes make-up, cleanses skin, and acts as a restorative rescue balm for dry areas all in one go.
3. Caudalie Beauty Elixer. Use this lovely elixir as your daily toner or as an occasional winter pick-me-up for dull skin.
4. Embryolisse Laite-Creme Concentre. A non-greasy, all-around excellent moisturizer for dehydrated skin. This one is perfect to restore your complexion overnight since it’s SPF-free.
5. Origins Dr. Andrew Weil Mega Mushroom Skin Relief. This mask is so great at helping to relieve wintry redness (which is the worst, isn’t it?).
6. Nuxe Rev De Miel. We love to use this non-glossy lip balm overnight to prepare for a matte lipstick look the next day. Lips are smooth and supple in the morning.
7. Oskia Micro Exfoliating Balm. This balm is really great at gently getting rid of flaky skin. We love that it’s not as scratchy as grainer scrubs.
8. Tata Harper Replenishing Nutrient Complex. Use this as a serum for dry, stressed-out skin when winter takes its harshest toll.
9. Trilogy Rose Hip Oil. Mix a drop of this in with your foundation for coverage that’s a bit more dewy. At the same time, it’ll help treat dryness and little imperfections like wrinkles and scars.
10. Pixi Glow Tonic. After cleansing, use an acid exfoliating toner to clear away dead skin cells and brighten your complexion. This formula is gentler than a scrub and helps moisturizer absorb more deeply into your skin. Plus, it’s made with nourishing aloe and ginseng.
For more cold-weather skincare solutions and recommendations, see our Winter Beauty collection.